The primary responsibility of this position is to drive and maintain in good order the CARE vehicle(s) entrusted to you. Also to maintain the safety and security of the vehicle based on the policies and procedures in the CARE-Uganda Operations Manual and as per the laws of Uganda.
Responsibility #1: Maintain the vehicle in sound condition for driving-40%.
· Carrying out daily checks on vehicles ensuring that they are in good working condition; recording any problems requiring future action in the vehicle checklist.
· Carrying out minor maintenance (e.g. filling oil, water, and air) before vehicles will travel.
· Ensure that vehicles are equipped with all necessary breakdown and safety equipment and that this is also in full working order.
· Request vehicle maintenance, entering items that have been noted on the vehicle checklist onto the repair requisition form, and obtaining necessary authorizations; passing to procurement for production of the LPO which will be taken to the garage.
· Take vehicles to the garage, drawing their attention to the necessary repairs or the type of routine maintenance required; receiving quotations and checking they are appropriate.
· Follow up to ensure that vehicle maintenance is done on time; inspecting vehicles after repair or maintenance work has been completed to ensure that repairs are complete and to a good standard.
· Respond effectively when called to transfer emergencies.
· Collaborate with health staff during transferring of emergencies.
Responsibility 2: Make sure the passengers and property are safely guarded-30%.
· Drive vehicles carefully and safely in accordance with the laws of Uganda and Care procedures.
· Give attention to the physical well-being of passengers, providing comfort breaks and other assistance as required; at all times treating passengers with courtesy and friendliness.
· Ensure that the destination, expected timings and any tasks to be accomplished are clear; plan a route that will accomplish all activities in the most cost-effective fashion and follow procedures that ensure no night-time driving.
· Make sure the vehicle contains an equipped First Aid box at all times.
Responsibility 3: Maintain records pertaining to the vehicle assigned to you-20%.
· Contact the Procurement & Logistics officer in order to give progress reports on completed assignments/deliveries/ etc.
· Maintain a logbook and record all trips clearly with start and end.
· Submit vehicle status report.
· Compile the monthly summary journey log for all vehicles.
· On a monthly basis support the Procurement and Logistics officer in the scheduling for the availability of vehicles based on the user department request.
· On a monthly basis, support the Procurement and Logistics team in scheduling the drivers based on the user department request.
Responsibility 4: Promote Gender Equity and Diversity and Safeguarding practices All the time (5%)
1. Supporting other projects where the need arises.
· Regular contact with the Administration on Vehicle Maintenance.
· Support the administration in keeping vehicle records
· Regular contact with administration to get updates on the monthly work plan/movements.
· Daily contact with the post office to find out whether there is any mail.
· Contacts with the partners as per the Component Manager’s request.
· Contacts with the vendors as per the Administration’s request.
The role has authority over the vehicles that have been entrusted to them to ensure that it is in safe working condition and used on official duties as directed. No unauthorized drivers and passengers are allowed.
· Secondary School level ( O’level)
· Valid driver’s license
JOB-RELATED EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE:
· 2-5 years of driving experience in a medium-sized organization
· Defensive driving experience
· Knowledge of Ugandan Traffic Laws and regulation
· Effective verbal, presentation and listening communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
· Ability to maintain composure at all times.
· Integrity and Trust
· Drive for Results
· Cross Culture Agility
• Excellence: Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; successfully completes assignments; sets standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed; ensures interactions and transactions are ethical and convey integrity.
• Integrity: Maintains social, ethical, and organizational norms; firmly adheres to CARE codes of conduct and ethical principles.
• Communicating with Impact: Diplomatically, logically, and clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the recipient/audience and helps them understand and retain their message.
• Facilitating Change: Supports and manages the change process at CARE Uganda by developing a culture affirmative of change; encouraging others to seek and act upon opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; critically analyzing evolving and fluid situations; facilitating the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace; actively engaging with resistance to change.
• Strengthening Partnership: Identifying and utilizing opportunities within and outside of CARE Uganda to develop effective strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas/departments/units or external organizations to achieve CARE’s objectives.
• Management Excellence: Makes the connection between values and performance. Influences the performance of others, and ultimately, the performance of the organization. Sets direction, coaches & develops, promotes staff wellness & safety, practices & promotes compliance, models gender equity & diversity, and communicates effectively.
• Developing Teams: Using appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team; facilitates the completion of team goals.
• Diversity - Promoting, valuing, respecting, and fully benefiting from each individual’s unique qualities, background, race, culture, age, gender, disability, values, lifestyle, perspectives or interests; creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes diversity.
• Adaptability- Expected to well adjust with the country, the CO operating environment, and the Project team to function effectively and efficiently.
• Coaching - Ability to demonstrate to enhance skills and capacity of staff working in the field and office for them to continue to serve CARE in the future program activitie.